EPISODE 32 - 5 CONFIDENCE TIPS FOR BUSINESS OWNERS PRESENTING ON VIDEOJun 13, 2023
What is the number one reason stopping most business owners from pressing record on a video camera?! Worrying too much what other people are going to say about them! Especially their peers.
We hate feeling like we don’t fit in, and being judged by the people are us can be excruciating. But what if they weren’t judging you at all! And you let this irrational fear hold you back from growing your business, and sharing what you know to help others and transform more people’s lives. Being confident on video camera seems to elude most business owners, who are legends at what they do, but still choose to hide away in the online space and be smaller versions of ourselves. All because what one or two people might say. It doesn’t even make sense when you think it through!
So here are my 5 top tips (+1 bonus tip) on how to be far more confident on camera, and create the kind of content that people really do care about and engage with.
TIP 1: TUNE INTO YOUR PURPOSE
- Reverse engineer what you are trying to say in your video.
- What is the outcome that you want?
- Who is your audience?
- What is their pain?
- How do you solve it?
Now marry this information back to your values, your vision and your purpose. Make the video about WHO YOU ARE HELPING. Connect to the purpose. If you are an accountant and you help people turn their businesses around by managing their cash flow, focus on that message. Don’t focus on what your fellow accountants might say about you daring to speak up about how great your services are! Because if they are criticising you, it’s only because they're scared about standing out, and want to keep you down with them. Do not let others affect what you are doing.
Which leads nicely into the next point…
TIP 2: STOP MAKING IT ABOUT YOU
When you fear making video… you are far too much in your head and not in your heart. It’s your ego worrying stuff that isn’t even real. When you’re thinking about the people that you actually help, and you change the focus to them and not yourself… your confidence grows dramatically! Think about the results you can get people, and how you have helped so many people in the past, and it will instantly change your focus from “what are people saying about me?” to “I have some valuable information tha will really help people, that they deserve to know”. BIG DIFFERENCE in your mindset!
Other great confidence techniques for this are:
- ‘Gather the evidence’ – tell stories about your past successes to remind yourself that you deserve to be speaking on this topic
- Get personal and really help your audience
- Be engaging, the more energy you bring to your presenting the more interesting you are to watch and connect with
- Focus on making your audience believe that what you are telling them is helpful to them, and that it is possible for them to achieve.
- And here’s the clincher… accept that not everybody will like you. And that’s okay. But if you’re being true to yourself and authentic, the right people will love you and you will be magnetic to your perfect client.
TIP 3: BE PREPARED
This is almost a no-brainer but you’d be shocked how many business owners don’t do this!
- Have a game plan with a clear starting point addressing a client’s pain point, and then share how you can solve their problems - be the solution and connect to this feeling of being an industry leader
- Speak to keypoints only, do not script it out – and speak about topics you are really familiar with initially while you are growing your confidence
- Speak to the stories giving evidence of how you help our audience
- Practice!!!!! No memorising. Just practice the keypoints.
TIP 4: BE COMFORTABLE
- Breathe!!! Quieten the mind. Find an environment that you’re comfortable in and create video in that space.
- Look the part, be natural, and really connect to your message
- Visualise yourself being great and that speaking on camera is a breeze – trick your brain into believing you’ve done it all before and it’s easy for you
- If you are still really struggling, you might have some blocked self limiting beliefs, and there are some awesome NLP and kinesiology unblocking exercises I can share with you that will really help.
TIP 5: ACCEPT THAT YOUR FIRST VIDEOS WILL SUCK, SO YOU MIGHT AS WELL JUST DO THEM AND GET PAST THE BEGINNER STAGE!!
Most people think they have to present their video perfectly, and it’s just not like that at all. We are humans, we do mess up words, we do get muddled, we do laugh at ourselves, and it’s great to sometimes show this human side on camera!
So use the editing tool to your advantage, but keep the natural conversational part in the video. It can work to your advantage because it makes you more relatable.
- Use the jump-cut method of editing
- Frame the picture so it looks good
- Consider your lighting and location carefully
- And then just do it!
BONUS TIP… SMILE!
It sounds so basic but do you know how many clients of mine look like a deer in headlights when they first start out making video! They get so serious and it’s because they’re worried what people are going to say… especially their peers!
Well please, no more.
It’s not about you. Or your peers.
It’s about the people that you are helping. Your clients and your potential clients.
Listen in to the video or podcast episode, and let me know what you think!
I’d love to hear if any of these tips helped you out.
And if you need to work on your confidence because of self-limiting blockages that just won’t budge (and we all have them!) then please get in touch. I have some amazing strategies that I will be making another episode on soon, but sometimes you just need to address it one to one.
Hope you enjoy our blogs and videos, and if you do, please share with a friend or colleague that might really benefit from this information. And don’t forget to like and subscribe to the YouTube channel.
CHECK OUT MELISSA'S PODCAST CONNECTED & CONFIDENT
Rather listen to more episodes like this on our podcast?
If you enjoyed this article and video, we'd love to stay connected with you so you know when we release the next one!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.